Friday, April 3, 2009

              Terrifying Tree climbing


I was terrified as I looked up a tree. Today may be the last day I see light. This tree was the tree I was climbing later that day yep it was the second day at activity Hanmer camp the 3rd of March and group A was tree climbing.

I was extremely nervous as I walked over to the trees. At the start we did some awesome warm ups. One was really cool we ran as fast as we could screaming as loud as we could. When we ran out of breathe we stopped. Then we started putting on the tight harnesses and the squishy helmets. We were instructed with a long speech.

I was one of first to climb. I climbed up the ladder I grabbed the first peg and stood on a branch I climbed further and further up. A couple of times I thought of giving up but a small tiny voice at the back of my head said, “don’t give up you can do it.” As I came to the end of the pegs I tried to climb further but I couldn’t.

I peered down cautiously. People looked like tiny bugs encouraging me on and the houses looked like like Lego blocks. I was terrified as the wind whipped my hair; the smell of crusty bark in the air. I shouted that I wanted to come down. They lowered me down as slow as a slug. As I was quickly unclipped I looked up in awe at how far I climbed. As Will was being clipped in I said to him “its fun and scary” and he set off.

Then I climbed two other massive trees and then we went to Lego land a game where you have to stack blocks as fast as you can. 

Finally we took off our harnesses and took off our helmets Next I found out that we were doing mountain biking.

This was going to be a long camp!`


Sam Bowler

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment