Friday, April 3, 2009

Tremendous Tree Climbing

Tremendous Tree Climbing

“This way”, I shouted down.
“The rope will get tangled that way” he replied. “Good”, I thought.

On the 2-4 March 2009 Rooms 7 & 10 went to Hanmer Springs Forest camp and my favourite activity was tree climbing.

Firstly Carl showed us how to climb the trees.
Then we got started trying the equipment on.
Firstly we put on our harnesses, we made sure they fitted comfortably.
Next was our helpful helmets, they stunk like a sweaty t-shirt, but they could save us if we fell from the trees.

The first tree was a thick Eucalyptus tree. There were two climbs on the that we did. The one that we did was higher than the other group did. Most of my group made it to the top.

There was the next tree it was an extremely tall Pine tree, but skinny with lots of branches. We had to start the tricky climb by climbing up the easy bit the ladder. For about the first ten metres up, there were holds, but then there were none. That made it harder!
Then I reached the top it had spectacular views, then it was the hard way down. I felt like I would fall and hit all of the branches.

Finally a few minutes later I was at the bottom.
then there was another climb, Carl said I could do it. It looked hard but I had to do it. So I started the climb up. I had to push myself to the limits. After a very tiring, 8 minutes I got to the top. It was amazing.

Then the slow pull down. I was relieved that I made it to the top. Hopefully I can do it again.
Then there was the box stacking but thats another story.

Henry Idiens
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment